Siphoning Gas From an M884

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 20:22:42 PDT

Howdy List,

Thanks to every one who gave advice for removing the water from my gas
tank. A friend accidentally poured 2 1/2 gallons of water from a red
plastic container into the tank.

Firstly, the tank is a standard automotive type tank and does not have a
drain plug. The local shop was going to charge $112 to drop the tank and
clean it out.

One list member suggested removing the rubber hose from the intake side
of the fuel pump and siphoning the gas from the tank that way. I
modified the procedure a bit by taking the fuel filter loose from the
output side of the fuel pump and clamping a two foot piece of plastic
tubing to the metal fuel line. I then laid the tubing in an oil drain
pan under the truck, hit the starter to start the flow and the contents
of the tank siphoned into the pan. Simple!

Then I poured a gallon of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol I bought at the local
drug store into the tank to soak up any residual water. I pumped that
out, added five gallons of clean gas and hit the switch again. I caught
this stream in a clean jar to confirm that all the water was gone. No
water separated out so I bought a new fuel filter to replace the water
logged one and she started right up.

Again, Thanks to all who wrote in with advice.
  Mel Miller
Corpus Christi, TX
361-937-3317
M725
M884
86 VW Doppelkabin Drop Side Diesel PU (OD)