Re: [MV] Multifuel block heater suggestions? - Arctic kit

From: Fred H. Schlesinger (fred@schlesingers.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 07:05:20 PDT

My duce came with the arctic kit. Diesel fired cab and coolant heater. The cab
heater works well, though it smokes like crazy when it starts up. Gets very
hot, even on low. Drive around all winter with the windows open, no problem.

The coolant heater was disabled by the military. The plumbing was removed and
the switch box unplugged. Appears to be otherwise complete. I have no idea if
it will fire up or leak coolant if I plumb it. But there has to be a reason why
it was disabled. The truck was in an Indiana reserve unit prior to being sent
to drmo. Question:

Does anyone have one of these functioning in their Duce? I assume, like the cab
heater, it gets plenty hot and will heat the coolant in a short period of time.
Is this so and is it worthwhile to attempt to get it working, or am I better off
just making it look functional and installing an electrical block heater to use
if I want to go out on a cold day?
Is the tm available for this?
If I need a new heater unit, is there one around that someone wants to part
with?

Thanks for the read and replies.

Fred