Hobart PE-197 genset trailer

From: John Rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 05:50:37 PDT

While poking around my local scrap yard, I came across an old generator
that needed a home. Turns out to be a 1945 vintage Hobart PE-197
generator that, while painted blue now, as some O.D. green peeking out
underneath. Now I have an interesting accessory to my MV collection,
but have a question. I have some Army photos that shows this very
generator on the back of a M274 mule. Would look good on mine, except
the darn thing weighs at least 900 lbs.
What would the correct trailer be for this piece of equipment? I was
originally thinking the little M762 generator trailers would work,
except that I believe they are only 3/4 ton in capacity, and are Vietnam
era trailers as well. Would there be possibly a four-wheeled cart,
similar to but smaller than the generators used to power the big Sperry
searchlights, of WW2 era, that I could use? The footprint of the
housing is 22 inches by 44 inches.
I am also looking for any additional information you guys might have on
this particular generator.
Thanks.
John Rozell