Ether start kit on M35A2C

From: Mark J. Blair (ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 21:48:46 PDT

I just picked up an M35A2C from GL. I was surprised to see that it appears to
have an ether injection kit instead of the usual flame heater. I haven't seen
one before. I wonder how common that modification is. It appears that a
pressurized cannister with a valve similar to a propane cannister screws into
the valve assembly. The ether (?) is fed through a small hose into a fitting
screwed into the small hole in the top of the intake elbow, which is normally
plugged with a pipe plug. Mine has nothing plugging the hole where the spark
plug goes with the flame heater kit. I'm guessing that the spark plug was left
in place to plug the hole, and then got cannibalized at some point. I guess I
need to plug that hole, because it would allow air to get in past the filter
if the turbo isn't boosting, and bleed out boost pressure if it is. Hmm, I
haven't ever taken out a flame heater spark plug and looked at it. I wonder if
any random spark plug I might have lying around my garage, or something cheap
from the local auto parts store, would plug the hole properly. If not, I guess
I'll fire up the ol' lathe, and learn how to turn threads! :-)

I can take pictures of the kit tomorrow when I'm working on the truck
(starting it for the first time, hopefully!) if anybody is interested.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/