RE: [MV] RADIOACTIVE stenciled on S250

From: Trish & Carla (wa6ube@tactical-link.com)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 11:14:13 PDT

I would think that the "Radioactive" stencil is only meaningful
if it had previously been out at the Nevada Test range, as many
other vehicles had been, and exposed to the effects of nuclear
blast..

Many videos are now available that document tests such as
the "Buster/Jangle" , and "Upstart/Knothole" series of tests
at Nevada ..

Military vehicles, aircraft, tanks, APC's were placed at
various distances and orientatation from ground zero,
with live pigs in them as test subjects,
in order to determine, to some degree,
whether real occupants would survive either the initial blast
or later effects from fallout ..

If you are in the Bay area, I do have an accurate low-level
survey meter that can measure all the way down
to the micro-roentgen range,
and would be happy to scan your shelter for you..

Another likely possibility is some idiot stenciled "Radioactive"
just because the meters and knobs of the gear had radium in them..

Trish ..

--
Patricia E. Gibbons & Carla Satra
Tactical Link Systems

Then again you the last user unit could have had the equivalent of a Corporal Sutherland who was in my Transport Company. He was in charge of cutting and applying stencils and pretty soon everything, including the kitchen truck was stencilled "radioactive", "death from within". Fuel fillers had "dilithium only", and tailgates had "0 to 40 same day". My CP truck had "front towards enemy" on the hood! As a result he had the stencil cutter and his paint taken away and was banished to the MRT team! Cheers! Ian ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Beattie" <bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu> To: "Military Vehicles Mailing List" <mil-veh@mil-veh.org> Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 7:31 PM Subject: [MV] RADIOACTIVE stenciled on S250