Re: [MV] Miniguns

From: Vincent Bloom (vbloom@DUCTMATE.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 03:36:16 PDT

A few comments on the minigun posts.
The movie minigun is currently up for sale by Allegheny Arsenal (www.mg34.com) for $275,000. He had it advertised at Knob Creek this past weekend. I don't know if it's on the website. The gun has been on display at Allegheny Arms and Armor Museum in Smethport, PA. (www.armormuseum.com - lots of armored vehicles, many operational.) Being electrically operated (24vdc), it will cycle live, blanks, or dummies without stopping. There was an extra set of barrels with it that had restricted bores to increase the muzzle flash for the movie effects. I work with the museum and I've had first hand experience with this weapon.
Tremendous recoil prevents it from being fired live hand held. A .30 cal tripod is barely enough to hold one. It's really designed for vehicle mounting. As for being man portable, the weight of the gun itself is enough to make it impractical, let alone carrying enough ammo or the power supply.
Rate of fire for linked ammo is 4000 rounds/per minute. With a linkless system, it can achieve 6000 rds/min. Since this is spread over 6 barrels which are moving quickly through the air, barrel overheating is less of a problem. At 4000 rpm, that's only 667 rpm/barrel, which isn't too bad.
At Knob Creek this past saturday, they started the night shoot with Ciener's minigun loaded with 500 rounds of tracer. Looked like a giant laser beam when it ran. Very cool.
And yes, Dillon Aero is making updated/improved versions of the minigun.

Vince

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [MV] Miniguns

Also, Long Mountain gun works ( I think that
is their name ) sold the blank firing 5.56mm minigun
from Terminator 2 for about $200K.