Re: [MV] Hmmwv

From: Mr. Bones (mrbones@ixks.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 21:56:21 PDT

> Is the 4L80E 4-speed overdrive tranny just a standard GM transmission?
Yes indeed, found in later GM heavy 3/4 & 1 tons, crew cabs, duallys etc.
Very strong tranny based on the venerable TH400.
If I recall, it is a 30% overdrive so in my 5/4 ton pickup, it would drop
the final drive from 4.10:1 down to 2.87:1, as an example.

>Has anyone on the list done a swap like this?? Sounds pretty cool.

Very commonplace in the hot rod and muclecar magazines, I have seen several
articles on this swap that my son has brought over; he wants to do the swap
in one of his Camaros. Without asking him, I can't remember which catalog he
showed me, but there is a stand-alone computer module to allow this swap
into any older vehicle. It seems like it manufactured by Painless Wiring,
and was either in the Jeg's or Summit catalog, pretty sure not in
Scoggins-Dickey. Should be much easier than adapting a boneyard GM puter.
Both the 4L80E and the puter are expensive, but so is the Humvee, right?

>Sure, but the "E" is for electronic, so you have to have a computer
controlling it. Now, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you'd
probably have to go the hard way and get one from a junked GM truck and
graft it in (running on 12V), or get the controller from a newer HMMWV, I
guess. Then, bypass the governor somehow to get over 73??? Or is that an RPM
governed speed?

T.Bones Morris