Phase Converters for Military vehicle restoration (can be used for non-mil related stuff also)

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 17:34:15 PDT

Here are some links.

The phase converter I built looks pretty much identical to the circuit at
the end of the page in the first link below. I just push a button while I
throw a disconnect switch to start the converter. It's pretty crude and
simple. I built a more sophisticated one for my dad and used a 10 hp motor
for the idler also. It has a magnetic starter in it so that if the power
goes off and then back on the motor doesn't sit there and humm. One of
these days I will modify mine to do the same, but for now it works fine.
You can buy all of these parts surplus. Capacitors are very common in the
surplus market. I think my Dad's converter cost about $250 for everything
including a brand new surplus 10 hp motor which I paid $100 for. My
converter was probably about $200 complete. It really comes down to what
you can scrounge up.

Dave

http://home.att.net/~waterfront-woods/Articles/phaseconverter.htm

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html