Question about combination backhoe/front-end loader

From: Eric Siegmund (esiegmu@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 11:01:14 PDT

Hello. I spotted an unusual military construction vehicle today and wondered
if someone could provide some details about it, and perhaps a link to a
relevant website.

The vehicle was on a 4WD truck chassis, with rubber tires (traveling at
highway speed). It had a front-end loader bucket on the front, which didn't
look unusual, but the rear of the vehicle was unlike anything I'd ever seen.

Where the truck bed would normally be, there was a maze of articulating
joints neatly folded into a compact mass. It was obvious that the joints
were unfolded hydraulically, with stabilizing legs coming out first
(probably lifting the rear tires off the ground) and followed by a
good-sized backhoe attachment.

The truck drove past me while I was out for a bike ride, so I didn't get a
chance to inspect it. Anyone have any details on this rather unusual (for
this part of the country, anyway) vehicle?

Thanks,

Eric
Midland, TX