M35 Clutch solutions and Tranny problems

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 00:44:31 PDT

Thanks to all

It just happens that a specialty clutch repair shop is
only 40 miles away. Furthermore, the owner (sole
operator) is familiar with the multifuel engines. He
is a goldmine of information on these engines. I
don't know how it took this long to find out about the
guy. Anyway, he quoted me almost half of Memphis
Equipment's price to rebuild the clutch disc and
pressure plate. All I need now is a pilot bearing and
throwout bearing. A new oil seal is ordered.

Transmission

The main bearing supporting the input shaft is out.
The good news is that the driveline vibration I've
heard since I bought the truck (Feb. 03') may be
figured out. The bad news is that I've been driving
the truck like this for 10,000 miles so who knows what
else got chewed up by the ground up bearing. I'm
taking the tranny to a local mechanic to get his
opinion on what needs to be replaced so I can decide
if a takeout tranny is a better way to go. I'll keep
you posted.

It may seem like a stupid question but is there a
wrong way to shift a synchro tranny? Some people tell
me not to use the clutch at all when upshifting but it
doesn't shift smoothly for me. (I have shifted other
trucks this way and have had good luck but all were
non synchro.) Often I'll double clutch when
downshifting going uphill. I feel I can shift quicker
this way and then the engine RPMs are were they need
to be when the clutch is engaged. I've been told
double clutching a synchro tranny is bad. Is it?

Thanks again

Marc Strangfeld