Re: [MV] Jeep Frame Mod?

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 12:45:15 PDT

Here is a strange jeep mod.....
http://www.tanks-alot.co.uk/Sales/jeep.htm

----- Original Message -----
From: "Horrocks, Aaron" <ACHb@pge.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 9:31 PM
Subject: [MV] Jeep Frame Mod?

MV List,

I need to tap the vast wealth of knowledge again here! In the process of
restoring my jeep, I hit a snag that I need some advice on. The frame of my
jeep has been modified in the front between the body and the bumper. Before
I go to a auto shop and have then cut this thing out, I want to make sure
it's not some rare, unique field mod that I'm going to have cut out. (It's
extra dead weight, and it slightly impedes steering.) According to the paint
that was on these welded-on-plates, my guess is that this was done by the
civil defense, and not during it's military service life. Since I'm NOT
going for a CD restoration, it's gonna come off, But I just want to double
check...

Is this is military field mod? What could it have been used for? Some sort
of custom towing setup? maybe for a winch? perhaps some special CD
equipment?

Here's the current picture of my jeep:
http://www.aaronhorrocks.com/raj/10-03/Jeep-10_20_03-001.jpg

Here's a few snapshots of the modification done to the front frame:
http://www.aaronhorrocks.com/raj/10-03/Jeep_Frame-10_20_03-003.jpg
http://www.aaronhorrocks.com/raj/10-03/Jeep_Frame-10_20_03-005.jpg
http://www.aaronhorrocks.com/raj/10-03/Jeep_Frame-10_20_03-006.jpg
http://www.aaronhorrocks.com/raj/10-03/Jeep_Frame-10_20_03-007.jpg

Anybody know what this could have been used for? Should I cut it off?

Aaron Horrocks
M38A1

=Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list=