M35A2 "SWAMPDOG" / SERVICE IN STATEN ISLAND

From: AVarvarigo@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 12:21:39 PDT

Hi all, I was asked by:
Frank Cox
Vietnam 1966
'45 GMC 353 DUKW
'66 M35A2 w/w
'68 M105A1,
and I apologize for the the delay, (PC problem),
if I managed to get my truck yet. The answer is yes. Even though I was planning to get one from Clark Trucks, (expensive at that), I found a fellow in upstate NY, selling his.
Long story short, you guys helped me find insurance, thank you. I insured the truck with Condon and Skelly and I put Historical plates on it. I just got them recently.
My truck is an 71 Kaiser Jeep, according to the Registration, but I believe in 71 they were made by AM General. In fact it says so on the dashboard plaque. It has no winch, (good thing since my driveway space is limited), hard top and heat. It has an LD-465-1C engine and has a tricolor camouflage scheme.
About 39k miles, and the previous owner was quite nice to it. Originally the truck came from Joe Young's lot.
It's affectionately named "Swampdog", a name that was found on one door and now painted on both.
I did a lot of odds and ends to it, and today, I had the grand pleasure of putting air in the tires. Mostly the ones in the back...
Yes, Frank, the neighbors probably think that I am nuts, or up to something, mostly since I am out there working on it every chance I get. No one however said anything negative, (to my face anyway), in fact one neighbor got a Vietnam era helmet with the camouflage cloth cover at a swap meet and gave it to me for good luck.
My wife is fine with it now, but I did have an uphill battle all the way, at the beginning.
I wish I had the air assist steering, I know its adaptable, but right now I have to watch my Ps and Qs.
Maybe when I grow up I'll get it...

By the way, since we are here,
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of a good shop in Staten Island, NY that could do the regular maintenance and repairs on my Deuce, including tire work if needed. Being able to provide an NY State inspection sticker, wouldn't be a bad thing either.
I found a couple, and I going to introduce myself there soon, but I was wondering if anyone has dealings with someone that might be a cut above. I know my neck of the woods is not popular to sports like ours, but you never know....

Anyway, there it is guys. Thanks again
Tony V.