Re: [MV] Hmmwv tires

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 11:52:44 PDT

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:59:06PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> Does anyone know if a 37x12.50x16.5 tire will fit on my Hmmwv? I currently
> have 36x12.50x16.5 tires? I know the last number "16.5", is the diameter of
> the tire opening, but what do the other numbers stand for?
> TIA,
> Mike

It'd fit, BUT... That is a radial tire you speak of, most likely. You either
need to use 12 bolt rims or civilian rims with that. The standard 8-bolt
rims were not designed for the pressure required to use a radial tire. Yes,
I've seen people put them on anyway, but I think it's just asking for
trouble.

As far as sizes are concerned, 36 or 37 is the height in inches, 12.50 is
the width in inches, 16.5 is the rim size in inches. An unloaded M998 can
probably go all the way up to 38-38.5 without major issues. HD springs would
make it a happier fit (or a 1 in lift). AFAIK, the main thing to worry about
would be your hood if you're offroading with large tires, but you've got a
tie rod there.

Vadim.