M817 stalls and gets air in the fuel line

From: Jim (jehill@cabinetdoors.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 05:25:52 PST

My M817 Dump Truck stalled twice yesterday during a two-mile trip.
I removed the fuel filter body and found that it was only about 1/3 full of
fuel.
I filled the filter body with diesel, reinstalled it, pumped out the air
with the dash-mounted pump, and it started right up.
This morning it again wouldn't start. Removed the fuel filter body, and
again, it's only 1/3 full.
Could the fuel be leaking back into the tank?
Is there a check valve in the fuel line?
Where is the air coming from?
I'll try NAPA today for a new filter and O-Ring (which is very flat, and may
be leaking).....anybody have a NAPA number for the filter?
Any ideas are more than welcome...I'm stumped.
Jim