Alabama Rally Saturday Directions

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 19:21:06 PST

Recently someone asked for directions to the Alabama MV rally this Saturday.

The Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club will be holding their 5th Annual
Rally this Saturday at Tannehill State Park, southwest of Birmingham, Alabama.
From Birmingham, take Interstate I-59 south (toward Tuscaloosa). Take Exit
100 from I-59 at Bucksville, turn left back over the highway. Follow this road
about 500 yards (past the large truck stop) to a road that angles off to the
right. Take this road (about 2-3 miles) directly to the entrance to Tannehill
State Park. You will have to make a short right hand dog leg to get onto the
entrance road to the park. Follow the entrance road until you come to the
gate. You will have to pay to enter the park. I think it is $2 for adults and
$1 for seniors and children.

After you have passed the entrance, turn immediately left and cross over the
small bridge, and go past the narrow gauge railroad station. Keep following
this road to the right (becomes one way - your way) which winds around through
the woods for about a mile. You will come out at the other end of the
railroad line and merge back into the two way road. You will be facing a trellis
steel bridge which has a 9 ton load limit. If you are over the limit, enter
through the exit, which is just to the left of the bridge. This is a ground level
road that crosses over the creek over a much more substantial culvert
arrangement. I have been assured that this culvert will take the weight of a fully
loaded 18 wheeler (80,000 lb). Once you have cleared the bridge or the
culvert, the rally will be at the far end of the field (approx. 300 yards). We will
be centered on the "Forge Pavilion" which is past the bath house. Feel free
to park anywhere, we will have a check in station somewhere along the line.

We're trying to round up a large grill to serve hamburgers and hot dogs to
all who attend. We are expecting around 50 vehicles along with a reenactment
group of the 82nd Airborne. Local advertisement hopefully will make for a large
public turn out. We generally are there from 9:00 until around 3:00. The
local college teams are not playing on TV this weekend so we might stay longer.
The weather forecast is for mild, upper 70's to low 80's with 0% chance of
rain. Y'all Come!!!!

Tom Campbell - Dixie Division MV Club President