Should I buy an M35?

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 19:05:08 PST

I built an offroad buggy out of a ford 1 ton 4x4 van (the van has Rockwell
2.5ton M35 axles) and need a way to haul it around. The only vehicles I
own are three International Scouts and a 1/2ton Travelall, so you see I
have a problem. It would be difficult hauling a 7k (empty) van and a
trailer behind Travelall with 275,000 miles and 3 teeth missing on the rear
spider gears. ; )

My only concerns are these, some of which I may be able to determine by a
"test-drive", some you may have to help me out with your personal
experience. I've tried to ask questions that were not covered 20x by other
people.

1. Gas Mileage - I read a few hundred posts and it sounds like 7.7 is
possible, a little more if I get selectro hubs, and 12 if I disable the 3rd
axle. This all is better than the 6-8gpm that my travelall gets, and
diesel is cheaper! Are these figures close to what I would get?

2. Comfort - Last year I had to wear a snowsuit to work because my heater
core didn't work. Couldn't leave the fan off, since the windshield would
fog off. So imagine me going down the highway at 65mph with sub freezing
temperatures, no heater, and the window all the way down in a 1969
Travelall with no mufflers. Oh yes, the travelall has 475 watts of those
"big" christmas lights on it. This is not something I want to do again.
Are the personal "cab heaters" in the M35 worth it? I live in Anchorage,
Alaska, so I can experience temperatures in the -20s. I don't need or want
a limo ride, but for $4,500 I want to make sure my investment pans out. Up
until now the most expensive truck I bought cost me $1,100 and it came with
a plow. ; )

3. Cargo capacity - I know its called a "Deuce and a half" for a
reason...but how far can I stretch that? I'd like to be able to carry my
van in the back of the truck. Would need to extend the bed out 2 or three
feet, does this sound reasonable? The van weighted 6,700lbs with front and
rear D60s, and I estimate that adding the rockwells and large steel rims
bring that up to the 7,000lbs range.

4. Trailer capacity - I read this somewhere a LONG time ago, but can't
find it. What is it? :)

5. WINTER STABILITY - this is a BIG one. Anyone drive these on snow and
ice a lot? Being in Alaska, we have that for close to 8 months a year. Do
you run some kind of mud+snow tire? Any studded tires? Any use of those
cable tie traction things? Seems like something like that could be fabbed up.

Ever since I was in 10th grade and a friend of mine took me to a truck yard
I've been hooked. Years have passed and recently I heard an M35 turbo
start up and move around. That affirmed my crazy idea that it was the
perfect vehicle for me. ;) Once I got home from that eye opening
experience I was working on my plow Scout and was frightened by the
D44. How scary is it to stare at 2.5 and 5 ton differentials all day and
then go home to that puny little thing. Why I trust my life to something I
can bench press is beyond me. ; )

My ideal M35 is probably (of course) the cleanest one on the lot with a
canvas top (hey, you never know...). I'm not sure if I'd want a winch on
it or not.

Any helpful hints from M35 owners? I especially want to know about the
winter handling.

One thing is for sure, and that is I am in love with these things. I just
don't want to hand over that kind of cash until I'm 101% sure it will make
me happy.

Thanks for your time,
Grant