Re: [MV] Generator wattage?

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 21:15:27 PST

J wrote:

> I'm not the generator expert, but here's my take: Assuming it is a 60 Hz
> AC generator, the engine will need to be able to keep the rpms at
> exactly the right rate to make the generator poles spin at a rate that
> makes 60 Hz.

Rotational speed is not an issue in DC generators. Here is the original post:

"Does anyone know what you can operate with this generator output 115 volt DC by 250 watts? Can
you operate a regular 100 watt lightbulb?"

In a DC generator, you can adjust the engine speed and/or the field to maintain output voltage. The output drops when BOTH controls reach their limit.

That is not true of an AC generator, where the frequency is controlled by the rotational speed as you say, and the voltage by the field current.... Actually, you have
3 variables: Frequency, in-phase power (KVAs) and reactive power (KVARs) [The ratio of the two is power factor]. With the right configuration, you can control all
three. Then there is the transient response, but not tonight.....

-John