OMG, what have I done! (bought a M35A2)

From: Michael P. Maynard (mmaynard@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 18:57:39 PST

So here is how it started... A local guy had what I believe to be a 3/4
ton trailer in front of his house for sale. I was interested, but not
really willing to pay the $375 that he wanted for it. The trailer kept
burning in the back of my head, so I decided to 'Google' it. Google
came up with a bunch of interesting sites, most interesting being
www.govliquidation.com. Much to my surprise I saw what that site was
all about. After looking, I saw some of the 1.5 ton trailers listed,
and was seriously thinking about bidding. I mentioned it and showed the
site to my Father-in-law. He went looking and suggested I get a
deuce..... and so it began!!!

After much deliberation in my head all week, I came to the decision that
I would bid on a deuce (sight unseen mind you). 4:30 came Friday
afternoon, and I started bidding. Things got real rough, and the bids
went up fast. I bid on everyone at the local base, and they kept going
up. My FIL (was on AIM talking to me) told me to keep going... we would
worry about the $$ later... LOL. All said, when the dust settled, I
won... at $2236. Was a little more than I had planned on paying, but
hey yanno, it is for a Deuce!!!

So now I have a few questions...

The truck is listed as NSN # 2320-00-077-1617, AM General, 1970 28769
miles.
Pics can be seen at www.themaplehillfarm.com/duece.htm

1. Is this truck a turbo? USAinfo says its an LD465, but the pic
appears to be a turbo.

2. Air operated front drive?

3. USA info leads me to believe they came stock with deep water
fording?

4. What kind of things should I look for when picking up a truck from
the mil base? I am planning on taking a trailer with me, but would
prefer to drive it home.

5. Am I going to have a problem with the mil tires with Ag plates in
NY?

6. It appears that it has the water powered personnel heater under the
hood, but I don't see the duct and controls in the cab... any ideas?

7. What can I expect for mileage?

8. How exactly does the multi fuel system work?

9. What is the best/easiest way to run 12v accessories on this truck?

10. Any other general tips?