Re: [MV] Competition time....So where is this?????

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 12:33:05 PST

Well done!Indeed, its the panoramic view from the Polish Memorial at
MontOrmel in Normandy, overlooking the infamous Corridor of Death or the
Falaise Pocket.

The Sherman is in Polish markings .... ok its a weak clue but its outside
th museum

Following Operation Bluecoat, and the failed German counter-attack at
Mortain, the Americans advanced and took Alencon then Argentan. At the same
time the Canadians took Falaise. The Germans began retreating through the
ground the ground between Trun and Chambois. A 'pocket' was created when
Trun was taken, and the Allies met up in Chambois. In the middle were the
Germans, being mercilessly pounded by artillery and airstrikes. The only
escape route was across Hill 262 - Montormel - and General Maczek's Polish
Armoured Division, part of the Canadian Corps, occupied the positions on
Hill 262 North on 19th August blocking the main route for the escaping
Germans. Now isolated, the Poles waited for relief and support from the
Canadians. Over the next few days bitter fighting took place on what the
Polish later called the 'Maczuga' (the 'Mace' - Hill 262 itself). On many
occasions the Germans penetrated the Polish perimeter. By 22nd August the
4th Canadian Armoured Division finally met up with the Poles, and the
fighting was over.

Casualties had been heavy: Over 12,000 germans were killed and many many
more wounded and captured. the 1st Polish Armoured Division lost 325 killed,
1002 wounded and 114 missing - then about 20% of the units strength.

Today Montormel is a Polish Memorial site, with an excellent visitors
centre, the Memorial de Montormel. The dead from the battle are buried in
the Polish cemetery at Granville-Langannerie, on the road between Falaise
and Caen.

There is now a superb 360 degree museum at the memorial which I strongly
reccomend to anyone who is visiting Normandy.