Re: [MV] more newbie deuce questions

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 21:17:07 PST

Hi Gene in PA,

I can't be much help as to the tire questions as I found it pretty
reasonable to just take the duece to a local tire shop and have them rotate
tires and repair as needed.

The fitting under the right side of the dash is not civilian standandard but
the threads that it uses are. Standard "Milton" fittings will work fine and
are available in at least two different styles (length of tube, I believe)
at most autoparts stores, hardware, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and you
should not have any problem with this. At least it worked for me. I keep a
50' length of hose and some air tools with mine all of the time.

I have never worked with the rims either and assume that the "rivited" rims
that you mentioned are the "split rims" so popular on these trucks. I am
probably wrong but have the understanding that you don't want to mess with
these as they can go bang and ruin your day when you let the tire pressure
get down then try to fill them up incorrectly. I am not sure if this is
correct and others on the list will be very helpful in setting the record
straight.

Hope that at least the air fitting part is helpful.

Bill K. (in MD)
MVPA #24623
1954 USMC M38A1
1972 US Army M35A2 non-turbo w/winch