RE: [MV] NJ Horror an Humvee/Hummer VIN Protocol

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 17:09:39 PST

Hi all;

I received several requests in response to my post detailing Humvee VIN
numbers. I thought that it may be of general interest to the list so I
am posting it to all. It may be a little long so hit the delete key now
if you are not interested. I just retired from a field where I dealt
with this stuff on a day to day basis so I have detailed knowledge, but
I am not all-knowing :) I will keep it short as possible.

The 17 digit VIN system has been an agreed upon international standard
now for some time. There are still a lot of older vehicles out there
that do not comply. It sometimes poses a problem when entering digits
into fields on a computer system, but it can be overcome.

All Humvees/Hummers are born and built on the same assembly line in
Mishawaka IN. They receive their numbers as follows: At a point on the
line they are sent to be finished in military or civ form. They receive
different options which I won't go into here but they all receive the 6
digit sequential serial number which goes from 000001 on up. My M1043A1
happens to have 132XXX for example. Civilian trucks have a full NCIC
compliant VIN created and attached to it via data plates near the
windshield and door frame stickers. Mil. Trucks get Mil style data
plates with the 6 digit serial number and later get an Army number such
as NGXXXX assigned and painted on inside the truck. You can get a blank
Data Plate and have it professionally stamped from various vendors such
as Dan Parley at MV Dataplates.com, or you can stamp them yourself. Be
advised they must be professional looking and permanently attached for a
law enforcement officer to accept it. If you have a *legitimate* 6 dig
serial number for the Humvee then the rest of the VIN is formed
according to the following chart: This example will be for a 4 drht,
M1043A1 Heavy Hummer, 1993 model year.

Digit 1 Country of Manufacture 1=USA
Digit 2 Manufacturer 3=AM General Corp
Digit 3 Veh Type 7=Commercial
Vehicle
Digit 4 Engine Type X=6.2l 8 cyl Detroit
Diesel
Digit 5 Transmission Type E=3 spd Automatic
Digit 6 & 7 Body Style 83=4 dr Utility
Truck
Digit 8 GVWR Class 3=10,001 Class 3
Digit 9 Check Dig. Place holder 0 Normally used
Digit 10 Year or Manufacture P=1993
Digit 11 Plant Location E=Mishawaka Indiana
Digit 12,13,14,15,16,17 Sequential Serial Number

This would result in: VIN 137XE8330PE123456.

To find different years simply step up or down the alphabet one letter
per year except that the letters I and O are never used in a VIN. If
you were trying to have a new data plate stamped for a 1985 Humvee that
has serial number 123456. You would arrive at: 137XE8330GE123456.

I should probably send this into MV Mag, MVPA and Motor Pool Messenger.
There may be a lot of Humvee owners who would benefit.

Regards;
Glenn Shaw
MVPA
MTANJ
M1043A1
M151A2

Subject: Re: [MV] NJ Horror

Glenn:
 How is the 17 digit number fabricated using the other info?
Thanks,
Hal