[MV] For sale: 1974 M817

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 08:23:15 PST

List,
It looks like I may need to sell my M817. The truck is the nicest M817 that I have ever seen...and may be the nicest M809 series truck that I have come across. It starts quickly, sounds great and the steering is very tight...I honestly had no idea that this is how these trucks are supposed to steer (and I have owned other M809 series trucks). Here are the details:

*1974 M817 5 ton dump
*USMC
*Overhauled at Red River Army Depot 4500 miles ago (data plate on dash indicates mileage at overhaul...the truck was, then, sent to MCLB Albay where it was converted into a Marine Corps truck...single tires, lockers, fording kit. I believe it was at MCLB Albany in 99 or so...it says this on the data plates on the rear axles.)
*fresh 3-color CARC camo
*rust-free
*clean, strong running motor
*Detroit lockers
*1400 X 20 super single tires (80%)
*20,000 pound winch
*hardtop
*heater/defroster
*fording kit
*NEW transmission, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing
*NEW PTO
*rebuilt injector pump (new seals)
*dual air-ride (spring) driver's seats
*plastic battery boxes with four NEW 6TL batteries
*pioneer tools (ax, mattock, shovel) with new straps
*good glass
*damn near perfect bed
*mud flaps
*metal rear composite lights
*the sprag works properly...I can demonstrate it for you
*$14,975...located in Maryland. You will not find a nicer M817! Pics available.

This truck is right. For those of you that know the trucks that I have owned in the past and ones I currently own, this one is right in line with all the rest, if not nicer. I have a really nice M929A1, and this dump is every bit as nice, if not nicer than that truck. I truthfully don't want to sell this truck and I might decide against it. I doubt I will ever come across another dump like this one. However, I recently got engaged and need money for the wedding (and for two HMMWVs that I am working on :) ). I know $15K is a lot of money, but not for what this truck is. If you are seriously interested, I suggest you look into other dump trucks first. Go see what $10K, $12K, 14K will buy you. Most dump trucks are abused, if only because of the nature of their jobs. I don't think this truck was used after the rebuild. The inside of the bed had a few scraps, but the camo was still fully intact...and was as clean as the hood. After getting it, I added another $7000 to get it where it sits right now (all the new parts mentioned above, plus new paint and tires, winch, one new windshield, air-ride seat for passenger, as well as other stuff).

Bruce