Re: [MV] Grounded War Birds - Silver lining to the cloud

From: rertman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 08:50:47 PST

Chris & MV'ers:

I have to disagree with you about keeping those old warbirds flying.
In all honesty, it warms my ancient heart to see a graceful B-17. B-29,
etc., make a majestic low pass across the airport; and, for me, nothing will
ever match the roar of a piston powered fighter doing its stuff at an air show.

That said, let me add that nothing saddens me more than hearing about one
of these magnificent airplanes crashing and being lost forever, including the
crew (single seat or 10-man crew). The crew and airplanes are irreplaceable.

My first solo flight was in a 1939 Mead Primary glider at about 50 mph. Later,
at work (Lockheed), I watched the Mach meter go past 3. I've had a love affair
with flying machines for as long as I can remember, including a stint as an
Army helo pilot. My Dad was one of the founders of the museum at Bradley
International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT. The original organization
was The Connecticut Aeronautical Historical Association...dedicated to
preserving these treasures.

Yes, it's great to see them fly, but it's tragic to lose one. Let's keep them
intact and on display where they can be seen, touched and appreciated by
later generations.

For flight purposes, let's start an organization to build and fly replicas.
I, for one, would gladly donate my time and what skills I have, along with
some money, to accomplish this.

Thanks for the bandwidth. Sorry to be so long winded. As you can see, this
issue is near and dear to my heart.

Dick