Re: [MV] WTB CUCV gen 2??

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 19:34:02 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Stansbury" <chris_stansbury@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 1:40 PM
Subject: [MV] WTB CUCV gen 2??

> Hey guys,
> I need a NOS or good used Gen 2 for my M1009. The rear bearing surface on
> mine is shot, BIGTIME, and it is vibrating itself into oblivion. I took
it
> apart the other day and found the wires of both brushes had been sawn in
two
> and the diode trio had broken into, get the irony, three pieces. So, I'm
> going to keep it for spare parts and get a "new" one. Anybody have one or
> know where one is? Thanks.
> Chris

If your unit is straight from Army service and hasn't had any civilian types
muck with it, you can take your Generator 1 and swap it over to your
Generator 2 side. Go to NAPA or equivalent, read the numbers off the
alternator, and pick up the nearest equivalent (which will be a standard 12V
type, 80A - if memory serves - even though the castings typically say
"100A")

The alternators were modified for use in the CUCVs. CUCV alternators have a
terminal isolated which on civilian types/replacements is grounded to the
case. The army installed the modified alternators on both sides anyway for
the sake of having simply one NSN in the system. The modified alternators
are only necessary for use in the "Generator 2" (or Driver's side) position,
so the typical 12V 80A NAPA special will work perfectly in the Generator 1
or passenger side position. You just have to remember for next time that if
you get a Generator 2 failure, NOT to swap out the alternator from the Gen 1
side again, because it won't work. Spectacularly.

The bits and pieces seem to be the same for the civvy 80A Delco alternator
as the ones typically fitted to the CUCV, so you might be able to go that
route if you can find someone who stocks the alternator parts themselves. I
would recommend holding on to the core (old alternator) rather than
returning it for any core credit NAPA might give when you purchase a new
one, as you'll need the modificiation bits contained within to convert an
off-the-shelf Delco alternator next time you have a GEN 2 failure.

A military mechanic told me two things with regard to CUCVs and alternators.
The first was that, for whatever reason, the GEN 2 side seems to go far more
frequently than the GEN 1 side, and secondly, many seem to fail quite
quickly if you have completely dead batteries, successfully slave start,
then have your alternators going full steam ahead trying to charge the flat
Group 31s or 6TNs. The alts overheat, and that's that.

(You'll also need to hold on to your pulley, as the replacement ones we get
up here in Canada never have them)