Re: [MV] chicago, ill

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 20:17:49 PST

>Early in december, I will spend a couple of days in Chicago.
>
>I'm aware about the Cantigny First Division Foundation museum in Wheaton,
>IL ...anybody had chance of visiting it already?

Yes, but many years ago. As I recall it was older stuff like civil war and
perhaps WW1 and I was like Jr HS at the time. I would like to go again now
that I'm older as it's only a couple hours away but, one of these days....

>then...any suggestion in the area? (museums, dealers,...)

The museum of science and industry has a real German U boat that you can
walk thru, for a price of course. Story of how they got it from lake
Michigan over to the museum is almost as interesting as the u boat itself.
The museum is south of downtown Chicago, the Cantigny museum is north and
west. Be warned, while Weaton is a very nice suburban area, the science
museum is in what has always been a pretty rough area. Do use thier parking
lot, don't recall if you have to pay to park, probably do, and do not hang
around as it gets dark. If you don't mind a 3+ hour drive there is the
Experimental Aircraft Assoc museum in Oshkosh WI. Also at a similar latitude
to the east is a good museum for great lakes shipping (maritime) in
Manitowoc WI. I'll try to think of anything else but I'm drawing blank
right now.

good luck,

je