M35 clutch project done

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 22:26:31 PST

I am happy to report my deuce has a new clutch,
throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. Overall the
project went fairly smooth without any major
obstacles. It took me a long time to get it back
together due to lack of time but if a guy had all the
parts on hand it could be done in a day. Make sure
you have some help moving the trannsmission around
though. One thing I did was set the fingers on the
pressure plate after I bolted it on the flywheel. I
used a depth micrometer and a gage block to set them
all within .005 (probably closer than needed). The
guy who rebuilt the clutch said he set the fingers but
I have to wonder (the heights varied .050). There was
some confusion as to whether my trannsmission was
causing problems but apparently the clutch, throwout
bearing and pilot bearing were to blame. The pilot
bearing was severely worn, ID was .790. The input
shaft OD is around .748-.750. This must have caused
improper alignment of the input shaft and created the
driveline vibration I've been trying to figure out.
After a road test I'm happy to report no vibration.

Thanks to all for the advice and happy Thanksgiving.

Marc