5 Ton advice

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 12:24:56 PST

I'm looking at purchasing a 5 ton truck again and I'm starting to
second guess my choices.

I had been thinking about a LWB M55 but that's just too large a truck
for me at this point. I'm worried about it being hard to park, steer
and drive with such a Long wheel base. Especially if I try to fit it
in my back yard in my Atlanta, Suburb Home. So now, I'm thinking
about a standard M54 type. I'm kind of partial to a winch, but I
don't know if I want to go with a MultiFuel or Mack engine (A2 or A1).

To further complicate things, Seco has some M813s for sale at $9500
which seems good, but I'm wondering what they do to their trucks if
at all (George? Any advice here?) prior to sale. Are they actually
checking them out or are they turning them around from a GL Sale?

Ted's Trucks in Alabama is another option as are one or two M54
series trucks in the SE Region. I'm partial to getting one locally as
I'd be far easier for the drive to inspect it and drive it home (less
of a scary 16 hour drive). However, I'm not totally ruling out Joe
Young.

The main requirement for this truck is hauling a WWII armored car
(3.5 tons) to events as far away as Pennsylvania (from Georgia). That
means I want a truck that could get a good bit of going over and then
would last a decent amount given semi-regular driving.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -