Re: [MV] Diesel Engine "Purr"

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 02:46:02 PST

Detroit Diesel 71 series came originally set for 2250 RPM flat to the floor in neutral which fed enough fuel to allow the engine to reach 2100 RPM when working. The way I was taught was if you didn't hit the governor she wasn't ready for the next gear.

        The Detroit is not supercharged via the Roots blower. It requires the Roots Blower to run ..no blower = dead engine 671 means 6 cylinder 71 cubic inches per cylinder = 238 Horse Power.

        Great engine, reliable as the day is long, just noisy as all getout and don't like pulling hills. Match em up with a ten speed and away you go.

Jim