State By State Titling- my contribution.

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 07:20:55 PST

Some MD information based on my experiences

1. Maryland is a Title State. Because of the Port of Baltimore's notorious
vacuum for stolen cars, the state made it this way back in the late 1970's
or early '80's. Before then, you could write continuous assignments on the
original title, or another state's title, or even write a transfer on a
napkin, and they would accept it. Take home message- other states titling a
vehicle from MD usually REQUIRE a Maryland Title. Don't buy something from
MD and then expect to receive a new title/registration of the vehicle with a
notarized bill of sale. Maryland also will not accept anything other than a
state's legally recognized permanent record of ownership, properly assigned,
as proof of ownership. So if you sell a vehicle with a Bill of Sale from a
state with titles, Maryland may not recognize it.
2. Maryland Titles have a space on the rear where you can assign ownership.
There is also a space for a notary seal if your state requires it.
3. If you move a vehicle into Maryland and intend to primarily operate it
in the state, you must register it in this state within 30 days. I don't
know what they do to you if they somehow find out you have not done this.
You must also be licensed in this state if you intend to stay here over 30
days.
4. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL- Maryland accepts Alabama Registrations!
5. If you need to get a car titled in the State of Maryland, you need to
petition the courts to order the MVA to issue you a title. The clerks at
the MVA all know this, and will gladly tell you this, but NONE of them have
ever been able to tell me how to accomplish this. I have called several
Clerks of the Courts, and most of them didn't know what to do. ONCE, I
found a Clerk who seemed to know how to do this, but when I finally got back
to him to do one, he had retired!
6. Bottom line is, MD is not friendly to those who seek title to vehicles
without same. So make sure you have proper title in MD before you get a
vehicle from this state. Or, if you move here, make sure your title
paperwork is in order. But don't move here. Move somewhere else- unless
you want to live on a sail boat; if you do, this is the place for you. You
can't put a jib up to tack without running into some business which is very
friendly and will help you do whatever you want on the water. This really
still is a waterman state. Otherwise, buy your Louisiana Blue Crabs
somewhere else- they'll still taste the same if you put enough Old Bay on
them. Personally, I'm planning on moving to Maine someday. I like cheap
lobster better. And they don't import them from Louisiana.
7. Just remembered. A while back, there were a whole bunch of blank MD
titles stolen from the MVA. I don't know if these were ever recovered.

Don't know more than this, hope it helps. This is based solely on my
experiences with Maryland in Titling vehicles.
One of these days, I'm going to try to figure out how to get a court-ordered
title done. If I do, I will post it here, or send it to Fred.