Re: [MV] Binding Loads

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 18:45:38 PST

> Truck movement: Not too much to consider in the g-force area, but have to
>hold the weight front/back and side to side.
>
> Rail: Similar to truck.

Where I used to work we had to do a "hump" test on the unit, basically an
M548 with shelter in the back full of electronic stuff, both in it and on
top of it plus a gen set mounted on top of the engine compartment. I was
not involved with the test, the guys in the cube across the isle were, but
sure sounded fun. They bind the machine down to a flat car than hook it up
to a small engine then get it moving at a prescribed speed then let it go at
a prescribed point such that the car then runs into a series of flat cars of
some specified weight. Object was to similate worst case G forces if and
when the units would go thru a rail hump yard. While the main interest is
what if any damage is done to the vehicle and the shelter, and contents, the
first time they did it they snapped a chain on the rearward side. Being that
they tie them down in an "X" pattern on the front, and back, it sort of did
a little dance on the flat car. Oh well, jus thought I'd share that in case
anyone was interested.

later,

je