Re: [MV] Diesel Engine "Purr" - overloads - more than a little bit.

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 19:06:26 PST

Running just a little bit heavy? (;->)

I was at a plant last week and a truck loaded with steel came in. I was
waiting for the crane operator to turn a machine on for me, so I just
watched him unload the trailer with an overhead crane. While I was waiting
the crane operator mentioned to me that this guy was way overloaded.
Before they were done they took 120K lbs of steel off the trailer. No this
is not a typo, this Peterbilt truck and Benson trailer (covered flatbed -
of course), had 6 - 20K+ lb. rolls of steel on it. The trailer was
reinforced and had a center lift axle and an extra deep aluminum frame. No
doubt designed for overloads. Talk about running heavy. The max legal
weight in Indiana is 80K lb gross.

The crane operator thought that the DOT would have thrown the guy in jail
if they had caught him.

All of the other trucks that arrived that day had two rolls of steel on the
trailers.

Dave

--
Dave