[MV] Tail Light Mounting

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 20:57:41 PST

I've got the bolt on tail lamp assemblies removed and have to replace the
bulb sockets ( old sockets were firmly rusted to the bulbs and thus
destroyed when I tried to remove the bulbs ) I've found replacement
sockets, however was wondering how best to secure them to the lamp
assembly? These two pics show one of the assemblies and then again with the
replacement socket.

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/bulb2.jpg

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/bulb1.jpg

The socket base is about 1/4 " wide: would there be a special rivet type
device to make this bend back round the lamp assembly as shown on the
original socket? The metal of the new socket is fairly hard unlike regular
rivets and (IMSHO) likely to crack if pressed...

I can always just solder it but wanted to try matching was there before,
not to mention learning a new trick.

As always, thanks for any thoughts.

        Paul
        MVPA# 24986