deuce lug nuts

From: enallin (enallin@bedford.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 04:55:02 PST

Hi all, a few thoughts on the lug nut discussion- one of the few areas I've
had much experience with in my short career as a deuce owner.

All of the lugs were badly rusted when I got the truck. A 1/2" drive air
wrench, rated 600 fl-lbs at 120 psi, running at 175 psi, would not begin to
budge them, even though the lugs had been covered with penetrating oil
several times in the past few days. A friend heated them cherry red, even
then it was quite a struggle for the air wrench to get them off. I did use
antiseize when reinstalling. About six months later, I had to remove a tire.
The lugs were tight once again- but air wrench loosened them with much less
difficulty.

My conclusion about antiseize- if used in bus service, almost continuous
usage with frequent starts and stops, my main concern would be lugs
loosening and I would not use antiseize. But with only occasional short trip
usage, rusting is a much bigger concern. I think a typical "drive it a few
times a month" MV would do just fine with antiseize. I'd still check the
lugs for tightness every few months, and before any longer trips.

I am intrigued by Glenns idea of an auxiliary tank. Perhaps to precharge it
from your home compressor before a trip, then connect it in and leave motor
running while using the air wrench?

Two final points- do not use an extension bar with an air wrench, it will
"eat up the torque." I didn't believe this either until I used the wrench to
loosen lugs with, then without, the extension. Big difference!

Finally, how tight should lug nuts be tightened? Anyone have a torque value?
I'm sure overtightening them makes eventual removal more difficult.

Thanks to all and God bless! Gene