Torque

From: Tim Korade (tkorade@sau48.k12.nh.us)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 07:02:55 PST

When assembling anything that requires a specific torque value you need to add the "running torque" value to the total. So if you nuts are rusty and as you tighten them the torque wrench reads 25lbs. Then if your required torque number is 450lbs then you would torque it to 475lbs.
Lubricant on the threads only affects the running torque it is the friction on the face of the nut that keeps it in place. That is one of the reasons lug nuts are tapered, more surface area, and it centers the wheel also. BTW the torque for a '52 M135 lug nut is 450lbs.
TimK..