Re: [MV] Torque

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 07:30:22 PST

Thank you.

APB

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Korade" <tkorade@sau48.k12.nh.us>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: [MV] Torque

> When assembling anything that requires a specific torque value you need to
add the "running torque" value to the total. So if you nuts are rusty and as
you tighten them the torque wrench reads 25lbs. Then if your required torque
number is 450lbs then you would torque it to 475lbs.
> Lubricant on the threads only affects the running torque it is the
friction on the face of the nut that keeps it in place. That is one of the
reasons lug nuts are tapered, more surface area, and it centers the wheel
also. BTW the torque for a '52 M135 lug nut is 450lbs.
> TimK..
>

> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:49:10 -0500
> From: m35products <m35prod@optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: [MV] deuce lug nuts
>
> Jeeeze. I'm sorry to have started this argument. My feeling is that I
don't
> have enough technical knowlege to figure all this out. For instance, in
an
> ideal laboratory setting, if you use a torque wrench on a rusty nut, and
get
> 100 foot pounds, and you use the same torque wrench on a lubricated nut,
and
> tighten it to 100 foot pounds, are you saying that the lubricated one is
> "looser" than the rusty one? How can there be difference in that
situation,
> compared to, say, a rusted nut versus a brand-new, shiny, non-lubricated
> nut? Wouldn't the new nut be more prone to come loose, following this line
> of reasoning?
>
> apbloom
>

> --
> ***********************************
> Tim Korade
> Director of Information Technology
> SAU #48
> Plymouth, NH 03264
> 603-536-1254 X11
> 603-536-3545 FAX
>
> --

If you have received this email in error please notify the SAU Network
Administrator by email at postmaster@sau48.k12.nh.us