some background on: Is this the land of the free??

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 22:21:18 PST

Ok, here are the particulars for those of you who are interested. The town
(Village) I live in is less than 2000 people. There were two ordinance
sections I had questions about, and ask the council. Here they are:

40.03 Sec. 3.1 Parking of vehicles greater than (two) axles that are not
owned by the village is prohibited on all paved streets and village owned
parking lots. The council may permit and designate parking at the
aforementioned locations by resolution.

40.07 Large over the road trucks: prohibited in residential areas. Sec. 9.
the operation of large double bottom trucks, 16 wheel trucks, all semi-
tractor trailer trucks, and all other large over the road vehicles are
prohibited on residential streets of the village, at all times, and signs
shall be erected on the effective residential streets.
    The use of these large trucks is prohibited unless they are emergency
vehicles, repair and service vehicles, repair vehicles for public utilities,
and / or moving and delivery vehicles.

Here is how the meeting went. I had previously filled out the form so I
could speak at the meeting. Each council member had a copy. On the form I
said:
"Bill Prestin, Main street, seeking a vote for an exception to the proposed
ordinance 40.03 & 40.07 for licensed historic vehicles."

I made out a handout showing two photos of my truck in the previous 4th of
July parade and attached a copy of the definition of "historic vehicles"
from my states Secretary of state(the licensing office in Michigan) to show
how the use of "historic vehicles" is restricted to events and club
activities. Each council member also got a copy of these,

The meeting goes like this: I will write these off the copy of minutes I
have from the meeting I attended. I'll skip the extra stuff:

1) call to order.
2) They approve the meeting minutes from the previous meeting
3) Roll call
4)safety protocol (I don't know what this is)
5) Public comment, time limit of 5 minutes each.
Then I said this: (I had typed it earlier, so as to be prepared)
"I came tonight because I had some questions about proposed ordinance 40.03
& 40.07. Can you tell me how they would be applied and if they would apply
to my vehicles? What I have is: two antique trucks with more than two axles.
One is a 1952 Studebaker, the other is a 1953 Diamond T. They are both
licensed as Michigan Historical vehicles. I show them in car shows and drive
them in parades. * See attached flyer from the Michigan secretary of state*

If these don't apply to me, great! Can it be documented in the minutes and
can I have a copy?
If they do apply I would like to ask for an exception for Licensed, Michigan
Historic Vehicles. As I am concerned that I will no longer be able to pursue
my hobby with my son.

:Here is where they said: "they do apply". and "why would we give an
exception to just one person."
:Here is where I pointed out that: "it would not be for just one person but
for everyone with a licensed historic vehicle with more than two axles."
:Then they said "they could not do that, it could be thousands, well maybe
hundreds of people" (I am quoting here)
:Here is where I pointed out that "I doubt that there will be a sudden surge
in the numbers of historic vehicles with more than two axles roaming the
village streets" (I couldn't help myself)
Then they said "We cannot make an exception, as the parking ordinance is to
address a safety issue with large vehicles parallel parking on the streets"
and the driving on residential streets ordinance " is because the streets
are not constructed to handle that much weight"

The brother of my neighbor, also a council member said:
"As I read the rules I don't think you should even own vehicles of that size
on residential property. We will have to approach the Zoning Committee at
the next meeting and see if you will be required to get rid of them."

About that time my 5 minutes were up. I had the impression, all in all, that
their concept was "how dare you tiny insignificant person come here and
question our all knowing and godlike decisions" (I was very polite about the
whole thing.)

They then went on to financial matters,

After the financial stuff they said:
"NEW BUSINESS"
1)"Second reading and adoption of proposed ordinance # 03-02, street &
parking regulations"

And then that was it. It was the law.

What kind of surprised me, is that they did not actually read the ordinance.
They just said. "second reading" and that was it. The only reason I knew
what the ordinance was, is because I had a copy of the paper. There was no
handout for the public as far as I could see. And I was the only person of
the three people in public attendance who even cared enough to comment.

Also:
I also have a copy of the rule books, though they are now out of date. I
always follow the rules but Have skirted close enough to the edges that I
think they might not like me. The problem is that "He must be crazy, he has
that huge garage and those army trucks"!!!

This is interesting too: while I was building the garage I got a registered
letter from the building inspector saying that I could not have a business
in the garage. I think the council member neighbor next door (who is a
business owner) was afraid that was my plan. I then got another letter
saying they thought I might have hooked up to city sewer without permission
and would shut off my water unless I let them come and inspect. I sent them
a letter in return saying they had to come and inspect, and that I wanted a
letter in return saying I had made no violations. They did inspect, and
there were no violations, but I never did get my letter.

Bill