Re: [MV] MVPA attacked again (BSD Unix history, long)

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 19:26:11 PST

Hi Nige,
    BSD stands for Berkeley Software Development. Unix, as you may know,
was first developed by Bell Labs, then Berkeley got it and pretty much rewrote
it
and developed all the main features that it has today. The guys that did a lot
of the
development work eventually formed there own company when the grant money
ran out for the BSD group. They formed a company called BSDI which was a
comercial for profit company that developed value added software enhancements
for Unix.
    I am not sure just who developed FreeBSD or whether it just grew
spontaneously
from all the people who were into Unix.
    Unix at that time ran primarily on DEC equipment. The PDP-11 series was
the beginning, then it was transported to the VAX series. Earlier on Bill Joy
left Berkeley and started up Sun Microsystems. The guys that broke off to form
BSDI had also ported Unix to HP's 9000 series of computers.
    Later on after the dust settled and PC's started to appear, Linux was
developed
to help the poor people who had to put up with windows, so that they wouldn't
go postal and start killing people.

    There you have it. What I have said is pretty accurate subject to memory
degradation. I didn't have anything to do with the software development, but
I kept all there machines running and built little boxes so they could dial in
and control
the console connection when the machines crashed. That and hook them up to the
network.

Bruce