Re: [MV] M35 cargo bed strength/capacity

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 12:51:42 PST

Hi All...

I've hauled 39 adults in my deuce (with the dual troop seats
installed...9 troops squeezed in on each of the 4 benches and 3 more
troops in the cab) and later when I calculated it based on 210 lbs per
person with gear, I was surprised that I had over 8,000 pounds of
people in there! Still within the 10,000 lbs on-road capacity though.
And the weight was very spread-out. I could feel the weight, too!

Tonight I had about 3,000 lbs of wet snow inside my Suburban
"CUCV"...hauled it a few blocks from the local ice rink (the snow was
scraped off the ice by the Zamboni, but didn't see any Band-Aids or
teeth from the hockey games there at the rink) to our Cub Scout
meeting for the kids to have a snow ball fight. Not something that
kids here in the SF area get to do very often...last time was back in
'76. I could sure feel the weight, but no visible sagging of the back
end at all thanks to the custom Betts springs I had made for it.

Next year for the Cub Scout snow ball fight meeting, we'll use a
backhoe to fill up the deuce with snow. By my calculations, filling
the deuce's bed (8' wide x 12' long x 3-1/2' deep) would weigh in at a
tad over 10,000 lbs. Now, if only my deuce had that hydraulic dump
mechanism under the bed to dump the snow out at the meeting!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com