Re: [MV] My Deuce stalling after idling / running for a while.

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 15:06:21 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Shanks" <n1vbn@bit-net.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] My Deuce stalling after idling / running for a while.

> Presuming the fuel pump is working why not just replace all three
> fuel filters (we ARE talking about the M-35A2 Series here aren't we?) and
> then turn the accessory switch on and bleed the air from the last filter
> before the injection pump. This of course presumes the electric fuel pump
> on top of the tank is working and actually pumps fuel instead of just
> making " I'm making pumping noise but nothing comes out ".

Just as an aside, but I had one that had all the symptoms of an electric
pump problem or filter problem, and changed all the filters and the pump
just to cover all the bases. No soap. Drove it like that for awhile
because I needed it for film work, but it wouldn't go over 2000 rpm with no
load. Looked like the military had played with the injector pump (someone
in the Guard had put little bits of tape indicating which injector line went
to which cylinder), so I changed the pump with a rebuilt one we had. Same
problem. I basically gave up on it and used it that way for a year until I
was driving home one night from set and had the thing run/starve/buck,
run/starve/buck - all the way home - 40 miles. Next day I went all over the
fuel lines themselves looking for cracks, and compared notes to the way one
of our other 1Ds was set up. The culprit wound up to be a piece of
flex-hose near the bottom of the injector pump which had been installed in
such a way that it would kink and restrict the fuel flow. Problem solved.