M35 is Home!!!

From: Michael Maynard (mike@byebyeblazer.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 06:48:48 PST

Well, we set out at around 6 or so yesterday morning, with about 200 #'s
of tools, 2 batteries, plenty of spray cans of various things, propane
torch, and a cordless drill (hey, ya never know...). We got up to Ft
Drum around 9:30, and set to work. After shoveling about a foot of snow
from the truck, we got the batts in that I brought. I hopped in the
cab, pulled the engine stop, and bumped the button. Cranked right
over... Good, no hydrolock. We then decided that we might as well try
it, and I figured I might get lucky, so I started cranking, and hit the
preheater (figuring who knows how long it sat in the cold). It did
nothing other than slow down cranking real quick. So in respect to the
batteries I brought, we decided to try a small sniff of either. That
didn't really accomplish much other than make it crank even harder. So
I went up to the office and asked the DRMO guy if he would be nice
enough to gimme a jump, and oh yeah, got some bolt cutters? (chain was
still onna wheel) He said yeah to both, and came out with bolt cutters,
and started toward a Chevy Pickup (CUCV? Or were the Pickups the m1008?)
After some coaxing the tired 6.2 fired up, and I walked back to the M35
while warmed it up. After standing there for 15 minutes and seeing him
drive by twice, I went back to the front to see what was up. Guy from
GL was there at that point, and he said the guy from DRMS wasn't allowed
to even give me a jump!!! I couldn't believe they were taking buyer
load to the extreme! So back at the M35, we had a small discussion, and
decided to go to Watertown for some batteries. Stopped at Tractor
Supply Co, and bought the biggest 12v batteries they had for $69 each
(ouch). When we got back, the battery tray was pulled from the truck as
the new bats didn't fit right into it as of yet. Hooked up the bats,
and hopped back in the cab. Flip the accessory switch on, and hit the
button. Engine flew over now, and with just slight dust of either
(don't even think it needed it but he was right there ready) it fired
right up!!! After about 20 seconds or less, the oil pressure came right
up. We let it sit there and idle for a while, (drooling the whole
time... :-) ) and we tied down the M116 trailer in the back to keep it
from rolling while the truck was moved out of its spot. (GL guy said he
would at least remove the trailer from the truck for me. We put it
there on a previous trip up to get the first M105, and didn't have room
to bring it) Hop in the truck to pull it forward and think to myself,
Self, you should check the brakes.... Nothing!! Pedal all the way to
the floor... Time for low range... I pulled it out of its spot, and we
got the trailer lifted off, and hitched to the back of the truck.
Pulled canvas off the trailer (it's a gen trailer with brand new canvas)
and also pulled it off the cab of the truck. We tried to fold the
windshield down too, but it was stuck. Once everything was situated, we
figured we might as well take it to the dock and wait for my truck.
Parked in the lot by the DRMO office and went in to sign my paperwork,
and when I came out my truck was there. YAY only he brought the lowboy
trailer... OH NO!! the M35 with trailer is too long for it!!! Once the
lowboy was split we decided the best way to load would be to put the
front bumper of the truck over the rear step in the trailer, possibly
even trying to get the front wheels up on that step. Well, with no air
pressure because the wiper knob was gone, and the screwdriver electrical
taped in the hose not really doing anything, I couldn't get my front
axle to lock in. I had to get a good running start to even make the
jump up the 12" step onto the trailer deck. Pulled the truck on as far
as I could get it, and parked. There was no way the front was going up
that step onto the back. Walked back to the trailer, unhooked that and
dropped the tongue below the back of the M35 and pushed it as tight as
we could get it. We were about an inch too long. Truck driver decided
it would fit, and he for the most part 'rammed' the lowboy back
together, and made it fit. :-) only thing keeping the trailer from
moving closer to the M35 was a canvas bow, and that had enough give in
it for it to work. We got home around 4pm, and I unloaded the truck and
went to work on it.

Aside from the wiper knob that I knew about, it seems that I need a
drivers door window, and regulator. If anyone has one that they might
donate at a low cost, let me know. I am not sure what the brakes need
yet, as there is slight amount of braking with the pedal all the way to
the floor. I am wondering if they system has a slight leak that after
sitting for so long, it bled down. I am gonna start with some fluid and
a good bleed on the system and see what it gets me. If nothing else, it
will show me the problem. Engine seems to run pretty good, it's a LD465
1C made by White. Smokes pretty good, but this is common with
non-turbos, correct? The Tach isn't working either but I am guessing
that is just the cable. All the lights appear to work with exception of
one front blackout marker light. I notice the front markers aren't on
with the headlights, and I saw somewhere a fix for this? The parking
brake is totally useless, and the knob on the lever doesn't turn, so I
have some reading to do for adjusting that along with freeing up the
knob. It is going to be an adventure, but all and all I think I got a
pretty good deal. I was quite stupid yesterday though, as I forget a
camera twice (was gonna bring the digital with me, and then was gonna
buy a disposable when we went for batteries... forgot both). Older pics
can be seen at http://www.themaplehillfarm.com/duece.htm

Mike