Re: [MV] Battery Acid

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 11:30:20 PST

Stu,

         You will need more battery acid than the battery will hold wet.
After you fill the dry new battery do not put the caps back on but leave
battery to sit while the acid does it's thing. It eats into ( slightly )
the lead acid plates. About four hours after you initially fill the battery
check the cells again to see if the individual cells are done percolating (
very few bubbles coming up to surface ) and it will more than likely take
more acid to top off each cell. Now you may install cell caps and install
battery.

         Oh yeah......one last item. After you install cell caps take a
fresh water hose and flush/rinse off the top of the battery to remove any
splashed acid and prevent the air from turning blue around you, in the
process of installing the battery. A freshly filled battery may seem to you
to be fully charged cause it cranks the engine right over but it will last
longer if you go for an 2 hour drive or hook up a battery charger to top
off the battery overnight. Not more than 8 hours to top off battery with a
separate charger.

Jim

At 01:03 PM 12/23/2003, Stu wrote:
>How much do I need for each military dry charged new battery to fill it?
>
> "Stu"
> Southern New Hampshire, USA
> "Live Free Or Die"
>
>Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc.
>Merrimack Valley Military Vehicle Collectors
>Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club
>Vehicles:
>1967 M151A1 Jeep
>1964 M416 1/4 Ton Trailer