Re: [MV] Battery Acid

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 15:20:57 PST

Hi Bruce and list,
                             The reason for topping up with water is that in
recharging , water is broken down into Hydrogen and Oxygen {H2O }it is why
the cell tops have vents and also why you MUST stop charging before removing
the leads ,as a spark could ignite the gas and explode .YES it does I`ve
done it ,but I used a welder , one spark BIG bang , no battery . VERY
DANGEROUS
With the acid already diluted , the small amount of water added is of no
consequence in the context of an exothermic reaction .
Alternators are able to supply all the requirements of the vehicle , the
battery's only real purpose is to start the engine , or run side lights
.Electronic control of the charging stops over charging and consequent
gassing . Modern batteries require little if any topping up , most are
sealed .
SEALED GEL CELLS must only be charged by dedicated chargers , as gassing
must be avoided , although sealed they do have a safety venting system , but
incorrect charging will damage them and may be dangerous .

A prosperous New Year to you all Noel