M135 Running bad

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 19:43:30 PST

Hello all,

Well I got another duece today! Our local boat yard had one with a winch,
that was used to lift boats out of the water for some time. The yard was
sold, new owners didn't want the thing, so they sold it to me for $100. It
was by the ocean, so it was very rusted, mainly body sheet metal, doors,
hood, below doors. Its a beater, but I just need the winch and some other
parts. So anyways, it hadn't run in about 6 months. I had to get a set of
bateries from home, and it fired off. Ran like a piece of trash. Sort of
blue smoke coming from the stack, and just ran rough. It didn't have any
power, I drove it home in low range, in 35 degrees, windshield was broken
out. Not too fun, About 5 miles, it was cold. I got home, checked both of
the fuel filters (one inline, and one in the carb). The fuel tank was taken
off, and a boat gas can with an electric fuel pump was installed. The gas
might be bad, didn't smell TOO bad. Anyways, what it does. It basically
idles alright, can't really tell there are so many exaust leaks from rusted
pipes. When I hit the gas, it kinda stalls out, starts just running like
cr4p. If you kinda feather it through that, and take it to governed speed,
it just revs out to the govenor, and thats the only way I can get it to go.
It won't go above 25 on level ground in low range. My M211 runs great,
nothing like this. I took out all of the plugs, and the cap. Polished all of
the connectors, the plugs, with sandpaper. 2 of the plugs (#2 and #6
(Conting from the front to rear) were wet in what smelled like really bad
gas, didn't have much of an oder. None of them seemed to have oil on them,
so I don't know what the smoke is from. Any ideas? I don't need to move it
much, but a extra good-running engine would be nice. Also a side note, I
have the boom that was fitted on the front of the truck. It has pins that go
through the standard shackle mounts on the front of the truck. It is in
pretty good condidtion. There is a manual winch mounted in the bed to ajust
boom level (will need unbolted), a support that mounts behind the cab, and
the winch on the front is used for hoisting. If anyone wants it, come get
it! Lopes island, Washington. I have absolutely no use for it. A little
overkill for pulling engines :).

Thanks so much,

Caleb Pal

1984 M1009 CUCV Blazer