More M35 story... :-)

From: Michael Maynard (mike@byebyeblazer.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 20:28:19 PST

So I set out working on my M35 today, figured I would try to make the
brakes work. Started by trying to figure out the master cylinder...
didn't get very far with that so I decided to try the parking. Couldn't
figure that out either, seems not matter how much I tried to adjust it,
it wouldn't work. I gave up for a few, ran back to dads, and got his
laptop with all my PDF files on it. That helped a lot, as I saw that
the clamp that holds the parking cable up near the lever was missing.
Had my friend make one of them up, while I looked into the service
brakes. Finally figured out how to get the cap off the MC, and found it
to be bone dry. Upon inspection, I saw that they brake line that
connects the MC to the air cylinder seems like it might have a slight
seep. We poured fluid into the MC, and made a brake line to hook up air
to the vent fitting. Put a little air pressure to the contraption we
made, and I cracked the bleeder on the air boost cyl. Got some fluid
out, so I had my friend try the pedal. We had pedal!!!! This triumph
made me decide to fire it back up and see if everything worked now. It
appears that some how, the MC leaked all fluid out somewhere, but must
only be a slight seep. As brakes work great now. I will be keeping an
eye on the level, and also on wheel cylinders for leaks. So now back to
the parking brake.... my friend got that clamp made up, and I put it
in. Readjusted the brake, and it works great now too!!

I drove it about 2 miles from my friends house to my dads after that.
Having to stop at the American Legion on the way to show it off. :-)
Let a couple of the guys take it for a spin around the lot there. They
loved it. One thing I did notice in my adventure was that I seem to be
throwing some sparks from somewhere... any ideas? Also seems to be
maybe something burning off, as the engine had an injector line leaking
for a bit. Wonder if I had diesel burning off the engine. I did notice
after it idled for a long time, it seemed to be dripping oil from the
muffler. Also seems it has an oil leak near the rear main, but I
suspect this is common. Also discovered my Tach is shot, not the cable.
Anyone have a used one they wanna part with cheap? At higher RPM's the
engine seems to have a lot of lifter noise, is this a common thing?
Almost worried the thing is gonna fly apart trying to achieve shifting
rpm on a long pull.

Anyway, I have rambled enough for now, I hope to have some input on some
of my questions. All in all I have had a very productive day and
tomorrow I hope play with it some more...

Mike