Trailer light (24 to 12v) problem

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 07:00:44 PST

Many of you know by now that I enjoy fiddling with electronics and when the
problem with running 12 volt trailer lights from the 24v system on the MV's
came up, I couldn't resist trying something a little different (perhaps).
I have made a "black box", which simply chops the 24VDC into a square wave
at 50Hz and with a duty cycle of 50% presents an average of 12 volts to the
trailer lamps.
The prototype unit has been running a 12v (#1034) light bulb for the better
part of a week without any problem. Power dissipation in the electronics is
minimal.
The box is slightly smaller than the solid state flasher in your vehicle and
has "pig tail" wires for easy wiring connections. Other than the ground
connection, the normal tail light wiring runs "right through" it, one for
left turn/stop, one for right turn/stop and the tail lights. No additional
power required.
The electronics is encapsulated for a water proof/vibration proof unit.

Yes, I can make more of these if any of you are interested, just let me
know.

Price to list members: $40.00
Shipping within CONUS: $4.30
Delivery: About a week.

Thank you!

Bjorn
MVPA19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia

Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory
offer. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup