HMMWV Newbee question

From: Mike (gundocmike@okplus.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 09:04:59 PST

My problem is with my 86 M998. The temp here in Oklahoma the last week has
been around 5 degree in the mornings. My HMMWV has a very difficult time
starting. When the temp is above freezing it starts just fine. If below
freezing I almost run the batteries dead trying to get it started. Is this
normal? When I turn the ignition on the wait light will go out after it
clicks 2 or 3 times, then I try to start it. Should I let it click longer,
"maybe 5 or 6 times", before trying to turn it over? What exactly is the
clicking noise?
TIA,
Mike