Re: [MV] While we are at it.... Gear oil

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 19:48:57 PST

I think if I remember right...the 80/90 that we're refering to is in
reality about 50 weight or at least thats what someone over on the
tractor board said. If the seals in my bush hog get a little leaky I
switch to 140 wt...stops minor leaks and doesn't get the gearbox any
hotter...(it's still got paint on it!) Some I have heard of take out the
pipe plug and drill and tap it for a zerk fitting and pump grease in
when the seals get really bad. Maybe someone needs to get an extra
twmperature gage assy and thread it into the M35 transmission and see
what the difference is in twmperature between the two oils...not that
hard to do. Fred Martin