flame heater for turbo deuce

From: enallin (enallin@bedford.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 04:12:07 PST

Hi all, I sent this yesterday but it seems to have gotten lost in
cyberspace- apologies if it appears twice.

Yesterday morning was cold, about 0 F, so I tried to start my turbo deuce.
I was primarily worried about the batteries- they look like size 24. To my
surprise, it cranked fine, but would not start. After about three 10 second
cranks, I started using the flame heater switch. Still nothing after 3 or 4
more cranks. So then I tried a 1 second shot of ether into the mushroom cap
on the fender for the air intake. Started in about 5 seconds!

My question- I assume the flame heater is not working. Is it worth fooling
with? An article in a recent MV mag seemed to question whether it can work
in a turbo as installed. Anyone with a working flame heater? How well does
it work? Likely problems? Thanks and God bless! Gene