RE: [MV] flame heater for turbo deuce

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 12:44:17 PST

If you have that Military Vehicles article, it describes things to check for
correct operation. Mine wasn't working due to broken insulation in the
spark plug AND an intermittent ignitor.

Easiest check is for spark by removing the plug and powering up the ignitor
only. If spark is steady then check for fuel spray. You can power up the
flame heater's fuel pump (with the in-tank pump on also) and look into the
spark plug hole for fuel mist. The better way is to remove the injector and
inspect for a good fuel spray pattern/mist.

After getting my flame heater working, I bought Bjorn Bramstedt's flame
heater monitor and my results were similar to what he found in his testing
described in the MV magazine article; with a turbo motor, the flame is
blown out when the engine is running. In other words, you cannot operate
the flame heater after idling to expedite heating and get it running
smoothly, as they describe in the operator's manual as well as the dash
plate. On mine, I also notice that there is a good 1 sec delay between
activating the heater while cranking and actually getting a flame. I
believe this is due to the time it takes for the flame heater's pump to
generate pressure and operate the injector.

http://wine.msn.com/