M35 cargo cover question

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 21:45:32 PST

Greetings one and all,

I have just purchased a surplus cargo cover for my truck which is a M35A2.
The cover that I bought has snaps on one side which I presume is to hold the
sides up. The same side has the word FRONT printed on it. The reverse side
has the logo of the company which made the cover for the military. This
logo is quite large. No instructions came with the cover. I looked up the
cover installation in the manuals and it looks like the curved metal (gosh,
I can't recall the name of the things right now) brackets for the bows all
have the hooks which the book only shows on the fold down sides. I needed
these parts and installed them even though they probably aren't right and I
am not even sure what they do, other than swivel.

My question. Which side of the cover is supposed to be up? The side with
the snaps like I have it which also shows the word FRONT or the other side
with the logo?

Several people have told me that it is upside down. But it dosen't make
sense to me to have the large, several feet by at least a foot and a half,
logo on the outside. Also, it seems that the snap hooks would work better
on the outside for loading cargo on the drop side trucks, easier to get to.

Also, are the covers normally used with the top in place and the sides (not
the end curtains) rolled or folded up on hot days? It looks like this would
help protect the troops from the direct rays of the sun, as if Uncle Sam was
concerned with this, but would also allow a little breeze to pass through
with all the dust. If the sides are designed to be rolled up while the
vehicle is in motion, how is the cover held in place as there are no straps
to attach these to the bows?

Thanks for any help,

Bill K.
MVPA #24623